A Little Bit About Me

My name is Joye Wiggins, and I am currently pursuing a degree in elementary education. I have always enjoyed working with children and look forward to becoming an elementary teacher. When I take a break from studying I enjoy horse backriding, reading, and spending time with family and friends.

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Teacher Expectaion

A vital proponent to student's success is positive teacher expectation. It is imperative that teachers assess themselves to insure they convey the same expectations for all of their students. At times a teacher may convey lower expectations for a child according to their race, social class or intellectual achievement. Teachers should regularly ask themselves "Do I have equally high expectations for all of my students?". One may ask, "Why is teacher expectation so important?" Students and people in general often become what is expected of them. If someone treats them repeatedly as if they will not succeed in school or any other area because they are not as smart as some of the others, it is quite probable they will not succeed. One reason for this is self-fulfilling prophesy, which is when someone has an idea imposed upon them about their future and they become what that idea suggest.

No comments: